Neuro-ophthalmology is a lesser known and understood sub-specialty of Ophthalmology which has slowly gained recognition in the past few years.This specialty pertains to the knowledge of diseases related to the Optic nerve, Optic pathway, and Cranial nerves supplying the eyes and surrounding areas.
Some commonly encountered conditions are:
- Optic nerve swelling due to inflammation/ischemic insult/raised intracranial pressure
- Optic nerve thinning due to nutritional deficiencies/trauma/post-swelling
- Impaired eye movements/Associated deviations
- Visual field defects
The common complaints of the patients include:
- Defective vision or defective field of vision
- Double Vision
- Impaired Colour Vision
- Inability to move eye completely
Diseases of the eye can at times be the only sign of underlying diseases of the brain; and a thorough ophthalmic and systemic work-up is required to detect the same. We, at Nirmal Ashram Eye institute, have a dedicated team of Ophthalmologists, Optometrists and a qualified Neuro-ophthalmologist to take care of this aspect of Ophthalmology. We work in coordination with the Radiologists and the Neurologists of Rishikesh and Dehradun to facilitate the management of the patients presenting with Neuro-ophthalmic disorders.